Take this quiz and see how you do. Ready?
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the Billboard's Top 5 songs the year you were 20 years old.
3. Name ten winners of the Nobel or Pulitzer Awards.
4. Name the last ten winners of the Super Bowl.
5. Name the last six actor/actress Academy Award winners.
How did you do? Could you answer any of them? The point is, very few of us remember the headliners of yesterday. Though these are the best achievers in their field, eventually, the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners. And celebrity is quick and fleeting.
Let's try another quiz.
1. List a few teachers who helped you in your educational journey.
2. Name three friends who helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name the person who taught you how to ride a bike. Or learn to fish. Or drive a car.
4. List three people who inspire you.
5. Name five people you enjoy spending your free time with.
Now that was much easier, right? The lesson is, the people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who truly care. They are the REAL influencers, the ones who affect you on a daily basis.
Now think about, who are YOU influencing? Being an influencer doesn't require fame or fortune, only your time and effort. Now go out, and use your influence to make a difference.
*Excerpts from Postmasters Advocate, August 2000 *Photo credit: http://www.personalbrandingblog.com